Pistachios in the News!
As we ring in 2013, many of you have resolutions on the brain.
Whether you’re looking to ramp up your fitness routine or cut down on indulgences, here’s one resolution we can all strive for as we wipe our proverbial slates clean in 2013 – perfecting our portions!
Check out some common food items and what a single-serving looks like, as well as some tips on how to manage your serving sizes this year:
- Vegetables and fruit (1/2 cup) = size of your fist
- Meat, fish or poultry = deck of cards
- Apple (medium) = baseball
- Cheese (1 ½ ounces) = a pair of dice
- Pistachios (49 nuts) = a heaping handful
Portion Management Tips
- Follow the Pistachio Principle, which suggests that visual cues may aid in calorie reduction without restriction. The empty shells indicate how much you’ve consumed, so don’t discard those after you’ve enjoyed the kernels.
- Reduce the size of your plates, bowls and glasses. Eat from smaller bowls, which can help trick you into eating less yet still feeling satisfied. Likewise, drink from tall, slender glasses rather than short, wide glasses to feel fuller on fewer calories.
- Purchase single-serving chips and small-size candy bars in place of family-size bags.
- Restaurants often overdo it on portion sizes, so try sharing an entrée with someone or immediately boxing up part of your meal to enjoy as leftovers later.