On-the-Go Smart Snacks
Whether you’re busy chauffeuring kids across town or flying to exciting new destinations, it’s important to keep healthy snacks on your roadmap. Stay on track this summer by stashing nutrient-dense pistachios in your purse, car, gym bag and beyond. And here’s some good news that the world traveler in you will love: A recent Harvard University study suggests a daily handful of pistachios may have a role in health and longevity.¹
When you’re not able to plan ahead, remember to choose the best-possible offerings from convenience stores. Here’s our guide to beating cravings, one bite at a time:
When you’re craving spicy
- Choose ½ cup of pistachios that come in fun flavors, like Sweet Chili, over a bag of nacho cheese flavored tortilla chips.
When you’re craving chocolaty
- Choose a 70% dark chocolate bar over a king-size candy bar.
When you’re craving crunchy
- Choose ½ cup of pistachios over a bag of pretzels. The winning combination of protein and fat in pistachios may make them more filling than a carb-filled snack like pretzels, making them a great snack to keep you satisfied between meals. 2
When you’re craving creamy
- Choose ½ cup of low-fat frozen yogurt over ½ cup of ice cream.
When you’re craving sugary
- Choose 1 cup of strawberries over 4 pieces of strawberry twists candy.
- Bao et al. Association of nut consumption with total and cause-specific mortality. N Engl J of Med. 2013; 369:2001-2011.
- Halton TL, Hu FB. The effects of high protein diets on thermogenesis, satiety and weight loss: A critical review. J Am Coll Nutr. 2004, 23(5):373-385.