Pistachios in the News!
Give thanks for pistachios this season. Their rich, creamy taste combined with a lineup of nutrition benefits gives cause for celebration. A healthy indulgence? Grab a handful if you agree!
- The Most Nuts per Serving. A one-ounce serving of pistachios is a heaping helping of about 49 kernels—more than you get from one-ounce of walnuts (12 halves), almonds (23 kernels), peanuts (28 kernels) or pecans (18 halves).(1)
- Small Nut, Mighty Nutrition. Consider that a one-ounce serving of about 49 kernels is 160 calories and packs in 6 grams protein. (1)
- Easy to Fool Yourself Full. In a 2011, preliminary behavioral research, study people who consumed in-shell pistachios ate 41 percent fewer calories than those who consumed pistachios without shells. This suggests that empty shells may be a helpful visual cue as to how much has been eaten – thereby potentially encouraging reduced calorie consumption.*(3)
- The Pistachio Principle Means “Keep the Shells!” In a second preliminary behavioral study in 2011 study participants who left pistachio shells on their desk reduced their calorie consumption by 18 percent compared to participants who discarded shells immediately after consumption. What other tree nut offers the same inherent mindful eating cues? (2)
- The One and Only Pistachio. Try a reduced serving of 30 pistachios for about 100 calories. As one of the lowest calorie and lowest fat snack nuts, pistachios are a smart choice for sensible snacking.(1)
*Note: The two studies published in the journal Appetite provide preliminary information about consumption of in-shell pistachios as an effective tool in weight management; however causation has not been proven.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture. National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 24.
- Painter, J. “The Effect of Pistachio Shells as a Visual Cue in Reducing Caloric Consumption.” Appetite. 2011, 57(2):418-420.
- Honselman, C.S., Painter, J.E., Kennedy-Hagan, K.J., Halvorson, A., Rhodes, K., Brooks, T.L., & Skwir, K. “In-shell pistachio nuts reduce caloric intake compared to shelled nuts.” Appetite. 2011, 57(2):414-417.